Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Savings Crave Purpose

I swiped my debit card for the third time.

"Ma'am, I'm sorry, but your card has been declined," the checker said. "But, you can apply for a Target card and save 10 percent on your purchase today."

I remembered my practically new Capitol One card, at home and lodged in a block of ice in the freezer, thanks to my husband's war on our consumer debt. My cart was full of summer clothes and home décor, items with which I thought I'd reward myself for making it through another semester of college.

I stuffed my card back into my purse, abandoned my cart and stalked toward the door. I had my husband on the phone before I'd made it past the snack bar.

"I checked our account this morning," I hissed. "There was $200 in there."

"I know. I get paid later today, so I moved that $200 into our savings account. What's wrong with that?"

Silence. My ears burned with fury.

"Wait--are you at Target again?"

In this marriage, I'm the glass-is-half-full person. To my husband, the glass is not just half-empty; it's cracked and leaking and oh my God, we're all going to die.

Read the rest of this story in Consumer Watchdog at UrbanTulsa.com.

3 comments:

suburban hippie mama said...

My husband & I took a Dave Ramsey course...a little extreme, but changed our lives...

It's a lot harder to spend cash than to swipe the debit card!!

Sara Sexton said...

You have a way with words! I love reading your adventures! Keep up the good work!

Maria said...

I had to chuckle. I never thought about freezing the credit card, but I might just do it. I had my own embarrassment Saturday when my bank card was declined. I had to whip out cash, but I was perplexed. Apparently there is a limit on how much you can spend? LOL! I bought a new computer, thinking I was doing the right thing by using our bank money instead of my credit card... unfortunately that made $100 at Lowes more than my daily limit. Lesson learned. Still embarrassed!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails