Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Meet You at Mayfest

If there's a time for art fanatics, food freaks and parents struggling to wrangle the kids fresh from nine months of being shut up in school to head to downtown Tulsa, it's during May.

Ah, May: When the average temperature in Tulsa is a breezy 79 degrees. When all that time in April we in tornado alley spent in our cellars bears fruit in the form of 15,000 azaleas at Woodward Park, Redbud trees blooming pink and purple all over town and farmers' markets bursting with some of the sweetest, juiciest strawberries anywhere.

Tulsans wait all year for the third weekend in May, when not just one, but three arts festivals bring tens of thousands to the heart of a city to ring in the summer in style: Tulsa International Mayfest, the Blue Dome Arts Festival and ArtCar Weekend at Living Arts.



At Tulsa International Mayfest, you can lounge on Williams Green and listen to a local band, eat a fried Snickers bar and buy a piece of somethi'n purdy from one of the 120 artists at Mayfest for an affordable price, all within a few fun-filled hours. The streets from 3rd to 6th and Main to Boston, hugged by the one of the largest collections of art deco architecture in the world, are deep with local and visitors strolling from artist's booth to food stands to one of several concert venues.

Take the kids to Mayfest's Kidzone, where they can get up to their elbows in arts and crafts projects designed especially for them. For adults, there's plenty to drink, including local wine. It all starts Thursday, May 14, and rocks through four warm, sunny days and three balmy, starry nights until Sunday the 17th. Festival hours are 11 a.m.-11 p.m. each day except Sunday, which shuts for the year at 6 p.m.

And guess what? It's all free. That's right – you don't have to purge your pocketbook to take in the sights, sounds and smells of Tulsa's International Mayfest.


That is, unless you show up hungry and thirsty. Then you'd have to shell out some cash for coupons to use at the food and drink vendors.

Not that the price of the food and drinks at Mayfest will make you lose your faith in mankind, but it'd be nice to not have to worry about it, right? Well, my dear, sweet little blog drones, your wish is my command.

Up for grabs is a pair of VIP passes to the opening night of Mayfest, Thursday, May 14. A VIP pass gets you free food and drink for the entire night. I'll also throw in a voucher for a free Mayfest t-shirt.

Oh, heck. Why not take a voucher for a signed 2009 Mayfest poster, while you're at it.

How to snag this sweet stuff? Head to the comments, Facebook, Twitter, Myspace – wherever you feel most comfortable – and get to chatterin' to me and all your friends about Mayfest. One post on my wall at Facebook, one post on my profile at Myspace, one Tweet about this giveaway on Twitter and/or one comment on this blog post enters you one time into this contest.

Want to really have some fun with this? Enter as many times as you want! A random drawing at 8 a.m. tomorrow (Wednesday) morning will determine the winner.

Send those fingers (or thumbs, if you're mobile) flyin'!  

21 comments:

Mercedes Millberry said...

Ohh, I am first to comment! Yeah! Seriously, thanks for all you do to promote Tulsa events. This is a great weekend full of awesome art events in Tulsa and everyone should make an effort to attend at least one. You can't complain about nothing to do in Tulsa when there are tons of great free events like these. (And Tasha is a great source to find info about everything you can do!)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to Mayfest, and this would make it great!

Money Saving Queen said...

I love Mayfest! We hit it every year! It is something awesome to do in Tulsa that is unique and FREE! I'm all about that. ;-)

joiei said...

This is the first year in 4 that I will be in town for Mayfest and I am so ready to Party. I will spend some monies on food, beverages and some art. And I am ready for the music. Hey hey, what da ya know, lets go!!!!

Unknown said...

I love Mayfest! Also, everyone be sure to come by the Blue Dome Arts Festival, just a few blocks away. :)

Lori Gammon said...

I have never been to MayFest and would LOVE to take my kids. I am heading to Twitter to "RT" your message! :)

kristi5577 said...

I have been going to mayfest since i was a wee lil one and this would be an extra sweet treat for someone such as I who is trying to pinch a penny any where she can.... :-)

Traveling Spork said...

Hey, will you hook us up with a poncho if it rains, too?

suburban hippie mama said...

Sweet give away!!

Sara Sexton said...

Another great TDT giveaway! We wouldn't expect anything less!

Amby said...

I'm REALLY looking forward to a fried Snickers. I have one every year at Mayfest. mmm

Terri Sullivan said...

Mayfest signals summer in Tulsa! From great food, to entertainment, to artists from around the country - Mayfest showcases fabulous T-Town.

Erin said...

My family and I look forward to Mayfest every year. We love all the art and even more, the people! Can't wait for this year's Mayfest.
~Erin

tag's team said...

This would be great! I love Mayfest but don't always make it down there.

Unknown said...

I haven't been to Mayfest in YEARS! We've been out of the state. I am really looking forward to going this year and introducing my family to all the greatness that is Mayfest! It would be pretty sweet to have the VIP passes to use. They'd want to go back every year for sure. And um, I hear Sister Hazel is playing. Right? Do you know what my 3 year old's name is? Did you know she has two sisters? ;)

morganajck said...

Oh I love FREE!!! And I've never been to Mayfest! I have always wanted to go just never had the money! Can't wait to see if I might win!! WOOHOO!

Kayce said...

I can remember my mother taking me to Mayfest and now it is such a joy to take my son! Its definetely a wonderful Tulsa tradition!

PF said...

I saw your family on the news tonight and came to check out your blog. I loovve Mayfest...now if we could have one day without rain!

chidame said...

Am hoping to win a little memento.

I met our future dog in the middle of Mayfest's set-up last year - he had a splotch of blue on his back from checking out William's mural. I brought him home with me and fought the urge to name him Maynard.

This year, Mayfest's dates and the due date of our daughter coincide. The husband has veto'd Maynard for her naming, too.

GemsByEm said...

Hey there, I found your blog this morning in the news and I'm excited to add it to the list of blogs I follow! This is great information for new Tulsans, like myself!

Jill of All Trades said...

My oldest will have a booth at Blue Dome. Sheezekrafty - be sure to check her out.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails