Saturday, December 19, 2009

Ugly Sweater Shopping in Tulsa

Value Thrift Store

Perhaps you've heard that I'm going to the Ugly Sweater Party at Joe Momma's tonight, downtown at 112 S. Elgin Ave. Of course, I waited until today to realize that no sweater ugly enough to win any sort of contest is within the meager sphere of stuff I own.


Yesterday I asked my Facebook and Twitter buddies to help me narrow down which thrift stores I should hit to score the most hideous, the most appalling, the most gag-inducing sweater in the universe.

They, as per their usual, came through for me. Head to Value Thrift Store at 11th and Memorial, the local Internets said. And I obeyed, as per my usual when disembodied voices tell me to do things.

Value Thrift Store

Confession: For all of my penny-pinching ways, I've never really been a thrift store shopper. As in, I'd maybe been to one thrift store before today and that was, like, ten years ago. Consignment stores, yes. Thrift stores, no.

I'm not sure why, though. It's not that I'm freaked out by the prospect of purchasing used goods. Half the stuff that's in my house right now had previous lives somewhere else. Plus, check out the cool stuff you could have if you're into buying pre-owned:

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

That last one could just as well be a photo of my room in 1985 as it could be a photo of the toy department at Value Thrift Store.

I still miss my Cabbage Patch dolls, naked or not.

VTS is actually a pretty nice place. It offers a ton of selection in women's, kids' and men's clothing of all kinds, toys, housewares and furniture. Everything is well-merchandised, easy to find and fun to shop.

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

I like this. But I can't tell you why. I just do.

Value Thrift Store

I like these, too, and I can tell you why. They remind me of my grandmother and some plates she might have used back in the '80s. My grandma has always had pretty dishes.

So, back to ugly sweater shopping. I wasn't sure where to start. My fashion sense isn't exactly the sharpest on the block, so I wondered if I should go with whatever sweater I liked best to, you know, hedge my bets. With that strategy in mind, I hit the racks.

I soon found I needed to come up with some other plan of attack.

Value Thrift Store

Oh, boy.

Value Thrift Store

I know this isn't a sweater but, hey, it's cute and snappy and has a slice of pie printed on it. And you know how I feel about pie. I just had to show you.

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

I really wanted my husband to buy this one. He said no.

Value Thrift Store

Fleece! How I itch thee.

Value Thrift Store

Again, this photo could just as well be of my bedroom in 1985 as it could be in the sweater section of a local thrift shop.

Value Thrift Store

What's this even supposed to be? Animal print? Landscape? A cross-section of that leftover pot roast that's been in my fridge for six weeks?

Value Thrift Store

And the designer of this sweater was going for...that hairball look?

Value Thrift Store

Found in the men's section. No, really.

A few more picks for my hubby:

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

This sweater belonged to either Bill Crosby or my dad at some point. I just know it.

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

I think we have a winner.

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

Tell me I look good.

Value Thrift Store

Which is going to give me a better chance of winning the contest tonight, y'all: This one or that one?

Value Thrift Store

Value Thrift Store

Don't bother looking, Tash - there's nothing to see back there.

My little sister got all the good booty genes.

Value Thrift Store

Okay, friends, I need your help.


Which sweater should I wear to the Ugly Sweater Party at Joe Momma's tonight?


Using the poll above, vote which sweater I should wear tonight to the Ugly Sweater Party at Joe Momma's.

I'll wear whichever one you choose. I'm at your mercy. Do with me as you please.

Then come see me rock the woolen winner of the Reader's Choice Awards: Ugly Sweater Edition at the party tonight. It starts at 9. On hand will be live entertainment, beer specials, prizes and darned good company.



Be there or be somewhere else wishing you were there.

9 comments:

Joy said...

Oh, good god, woman! The blue one, but use the crazy eyes from the picture wearing the mustard one. Sure to beat out the competition!

AngieBrumley said...

I think the vest would look smashing over the pie sweatshirt.

Lost City Denise said...

Wear the blue vest but add some leggings - with stirrups. Or maybe my mother's double knit polyester pants with the seam down the front that she IRONS! They're really now.

Lost City Denise said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer Chronicles (jenx67.com) said...

this is the funniest thing you have ever done. i thought it was great, but when i got to the man in red - Wow. I busted a gut. Thanks for bringing us some serious holiday cheer, Tasha!

Tulsa Tourist said...

Great post Tasha, and great pics! I'd go with the vest, and your hubby looks great in that red sweater! I think your next step should be YouTube! :D

Briana Shepley said...

Oh the joys of thrifting! This was a fun post :)

Brigid said...

Isn't Value great? They have incredible deals on furniture, too. I once bought a decent-looking sofa bed there for $20. I hope you enjoyed the shindig!

Holly said...

Value Thrift is where it's at! They're so huge that it's almost overwhelming, and I love it. Plus you can pretty much know for a fact that you can walk in on any given day and purchase whatever board game you can dream of for a quarter. Now that's what I call entertainment.

I went with the mustard sweater, but I think my vote is losing by a long-shot. Have a great time either way! And thanks for the lulz. You two were crackin' me up!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails