Saturday, June 5, 2010

Running Toward the Neon Lights: Erin Sees Tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

Nothing stops me dead in my tracks quite like a neon sign.

Well, that might be a slight exaggeration. Let me rephrase: Nothing stops me dead in my tracks quite like a neon sign when I have my polaroid camera on board.

That's more like it.

Because really, what better way to capture the authenticity of an old sign than with an old polaroid camera? It's like chocolate and peanut butter. They're just made to go together, to be joined at the hip, peas in a pod.

Lucky for me, Tulsa has it's fair share of these extraordinary signs. Also lucky for me, I'm rarely without my polaroid camera. I just wish I didn't have to worry about running out of film. But that's another story for another day. Instead of dwelling on my woes, let's take a 3"x3" journey through this town via the wonders that are some of my favorite neon signs.

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

neon signs: erin sees tulsa

While many of these signs are years or even decades old, rumor has it that vintage neon signs are the new black - or green, or whatever the saying is now - and a couple of these bad boys have even sprung up recently downtown, either new or vintage.

Don't worry. I've got my Polaroid camera, and I'm on it.

Tulsa photographer Erin Conrad photoblogs weekly at Tasha Does Tulsa as Erin Sees Tulsa. Check out her recent posts here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails