Sometimes I get a wild hair and decide it'd be a good idea to post a random question on Twitter and Facebook for everyone to ponder, poke fun at, print and flush down the toilet or maybe, if I'm lucky, consider answering.
Thursday I posed, "Fill in the blank: Tulsa is home to ________." An innocent enough question, I thought. I bet I'd get five responses, give or take a response. Or five.
I certainly didn't think that question would open the floodgates of public opinion. Within an hour or so I had 30 responses on Facebook and 23 more on Twitter. Those are solid numbers 'round here, especially considering I wasn't even giving anything away.
I loved the range of attitudes about life in Tulsa reflected in what people had to say about this city as a home, whether to family or great food or the worst roads to ever criss-cross the American prairie.
Here are some of my favorites:
- QuikTrip. And the Cain's.
- A generous community, willing to give their time AND money to those less fortunate.
- The best quality of life for young professionals anywhere in the country.
- More art, theater and music than you can get to.
- All who return from far-flung locales, having completed their spirit quest, ready to bring their hard-won knowledge and experience back into the fold.
Boomerangers. Tulsa's full of 'em. Folks just can't stay away.
I love how blogging and other forms of social media are interactive, which means readers have the opportunity to have their voices heard in a way traditional media has a hard time delivering. Some folks said Tulsa is home to:
I love how the quirkiness of this city comes out in responses to questions like these. Tulsa is home to:
- A plethora of churches.
- No more than two degrees of separation.
- 26 comments and nobody mentions the Center of the Universe? The Center of the Universe!
- The strange alongside the commonplace.
- The cutest bulldog ever, Bella.
Bella! I love it.
Now it's your turn. How would you fill in the blank?