Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Wisdom, prizes and anticipation: You're in Tulsa

Blogger: Party Brenda
(Photo credit: Chris Bouldin)

As some of you may already know, I, Party Brenda, am known for my sage advice.

I received the following E-mail from a faithful follower of my advice column last week:


Dear Party Brenda,

So much is going on in Tulsa right now, and things seem like they’re going to get worse before they get better. What’s your advice for Tulsa right now?

Sincerely yours,

Connie Commuter
Broken Arrow, Okla.


Since I imagine many people in Tulsa would have asked me the same question if only they knew my personal E-mail address, I decided to answer the question here so all of you could partake of my sage advice at once.

So, here’s my response:

Dear Connie Commuter (and Tulsans who long for my personal E-mail address):

Since most people I know are paying attention to the road construction in Tulsa and pretty much nothing else going on in the entire city, I'll assume you're griping about that, too. I know everyone is kinda freaking out about all the road construction, especially in downtown – but, chill out. Downtown Tulsa will be a rockin’ place for it in the long run. I mean, don’t you think it’s about time some work started happening down there?

My advice to you, Connie, is to just keep on partying. There is so much to do here – concerts and art shows, festivals and killer local restaurants (especially the one that can supply Party Brenda with more types of beer than she can even think about) - not to mention the random, friendly transients. It's not that there are more of them in Tulsa than in any other town - ours just walk around a lot, I bet. I'd wager you're seeing the same ones all the time. Anyway, we have got to have some of the nicest homeless people around. One of them said, “Bless you,” to Natasha when she sneezed during her walk to work the other day. And, they’re right here in Tulsa! Who could ask for anything more?

I also would like to point out that if you do make it to your downtown destination, even if it is by detour, you’ll be safe to party. There is a lot going on downtown, but it's nothing you can't handle. But, don’t drink and drive – call a nice Tulsa cabbie. They can take you home, safe and sound. It’s either one of them, or it’s the police, especially now that they’re talking about setting up shop someplace downtown – but, from what I can tell, they don’t always take you home, per se. Hang in there, Connie, and thank you for sharing.

If you really need for me to hand-feed you something safe and not too overwhelming to do this week, you can come hang out with me. This Thursday, I’ll be partying with the dueling piano guys at the Full Moon CafĂ©. The tortilla soup at Full Moon is cheesy-licious, and you can have a full evening of fun with Party Brenda for under five bucks.

Party on!

Party Brenda


Something else I want to inform readers out there about is the Word on the Street.

Here’s how it’s going to work. I’m gonna give you a clue about a certain location in Tulsa. If you go to the right place and find a word chalked on the street, sidewalk - just whatever is under your feet (hey, that kinda rhymes) - be the first to comment that word to the post that gave you the clue.

Your reward for knowing the Word on the Street? A $20 gift certificate to the Tulsa-based restaurant or coffee house of your choice.

I’ll post the first clue on Tasha Does Tulsa Friday morning at 7 a.m. central time. Happy hunting!


And oh yeah: Party on, Tulsa!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails